Sunday, March 1, 2009

live and learn...

They say running clears the mind and I hear that people solve problems while running... I learn more and more about myself when I run and it seems the longer I run the more I learn.

Yesterday Makenna and I went over to the bike trail for our long run. And about 2.5 miles in we were both starting to get tired, more her than me but I figured she was on her bike so she would be fine... At the turn around point we stopped for a quick drink and headed back. She did great for about another mile and then started complaining that her legs and butt were "killing her"... I kept reminding her that Pinkberry was waiting for her at the finish...that only worked for so long and at around mile 4 she was done! She got off her bike and said "that's it, I can't go anymore" so I ended up walking her bike back the last mile with her walking s-l-o-w-l-y behind me. All the while I realized a few things about myself, first is that I get bored way too easily and anything over 4 miles is just tedious and extremely boring!!! I have no idea why I felt like I needed to become a long distance runner, it's probably that whole "all or nothing" attitude I have where I can't just "dabble" in something, I gotta go gung-ho and all out! Well, now that I've gotten back into cycling and have been reminded how much I absolutely LOVE riding, the running just doesn't have the same appeal. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy running and the benefits of what it has done for me. And I have every intention of continuing to do my 3 days a week running and my monthly 5k because those are FUN, but I just don't have the desire to go out and run 5, 6, or 7 miles... I will do the 10k that I've committed to on the 15th because I have those 'goals' that I set at the beginning of the year and I would really like to accomplish as many of them as possible... I may just need to re-think the plan of attack. For example, I will need to run a minimum of 10 miles a week in order to make the 500 mile mark I want to hit by the end of the year and was counting on the longer miles to help get me there, but since that wont be happening I think instead of just running the 3 days a week I've been doing I will make an attempt at running every other day so that on some weeks I will have 4 days of running and that will help get some mileage in.

This morning I took the new wheels out for their initiation spin- 22 miles and another awesome ride! The seat is a bit harder than my old one so by the end of the ride the sit bones were screaming but that's good because I think with each ride they will get a little tougher and eventually the longer rides wont be as painful. I love the new bike and it rode like a dream. I was afraid that the breaks, gears and handlebars would be hard to get used to but it wasn't too bad and I think I'm going to get many, many wonderful miles of riding from this bike. I will post a picture soon.

No comments: